Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'm not in Kansas anymore...

Unfamiliarity
For the past two weeks or so, I've had a serious hankering for some pho. For those of you unfamiliar with pho, it's a delicious Vietnamese noodle soup. Yelp and UrbanSpoon continuously suggest the same place to me, but it's far away and a bowl of pho will run you around $10. This is unacceptable, especially since I still have no access to my stolen money.

The lack of pho in Roanoke is just one of the many things I've come to realize symbolize my complete move away from all things familiar.

I went to a shindig last night and saw a man with a legitimate "I <3 Mom" tattoo. This is something I am not accustomed to. I spent two days driving around looking for plantains last week. I am used to plantains at any local grocery store.

I miss the convenience of hole-in-the-wall food joints that serve cuisines from places I have never been for less than it costs to hit up McDonalds.

Yes, this is an entire post dedicated solely to wanting more food options.

2 comments:

  1. I yearn for pho and I'm in NYC...no place tastes as good as the one on Wilson Blvd. near the Starbucks where you used to read Twilight out of your bag...
    -GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to call me out, Georgia. Let's not forget I borrowed those books from you!

    ReplyDelete